On January 12, 2022, MIT Joint Program Research Scientist Kenneth Strzepek presented a talk entitled "The role of Nile water resources in the economic development of Egypt and Ethiopia, and the potential impacts of the GERD filling policies." The talk was part of "The Nile River Basin in Crisis: Water Sharing and Transboundary Conflict or Cooperation" Webinar Series, presented by the UCLA African Studies Center.
- Very brief overview of the Nile Basin hydrology
- The High Aswan Dam and Egyptian economic development
- How do we measure economic benefits and costs
- The value of the High Aswan Dam and the Nile to the Egyptian economy
- Impacts of the GERD (Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam) on the Egyptian economy: A literature review
- Options for win-win Nile development & operation
Watch video here.